How to Plan Your Move
To help organize your move, bookmark this page and work through it as you pack.
If possible, allow up to 30 days to plan your move and schedule any activities you want to complete before moving day.
Avoid peak periods for moving, if possible: the first few days and the last few days of the month are times when everyone wants to move.
Start planning early, and things can go more smoothly than you would imagine!
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Antifreeze Compounds
- Corrosive Liquids
- Rust Preventative Compounds
- Black Powder
- Dynamite, Plastic or Similar Explosives
- Small Arms Ammunition
- Adhesives (Glues, Cements)
- Cleaning Fluids
- Weed Killer
- Hand Signal Flares
- Oil-Based Paint Removers
- Aerosol Cans
- Engine Starting Fluids Kerosene
- Stain, Lacquer, Varnish
- Liquid Polishes
- Gases, Compressed
- Any Type of Combustible Cleaning Material
- Gases Used in Welding Lighter Fluids
- Scuba Diving Tanks (Unpurged)
- Propane Tanks (Unpurged
- Combustible Liquids
It is recommended that all food items, whether they be fresh, frozen, dried or canned, be considered as perishables and excluded from storage. Please note that your carrier is not liable for loss or damage to documents, currency, money, jewelry, coin collections, stamp collections, or collections of any type. It is recommended that you make other arrangements to transport these articles.
4 to 6 Weeks Before Your Move
Conduct an inventory. Decide what to move and what not to move. Make arrangements for your trip (hotel/airline reservations, drive routing, etc.).
Schedule a moving sale for items you won’t move. Donate other items to charitable organizations (ask for a receipt for tax records).
Arrange for packing. Admiral Moving & Storage can make these arrangements and provide special packing cartons.
Gather your personal records: medical, dental, school, birth, baptism, marriage, etc. Send transcripts of your school records in advance to the new school.
Close local department store and other local charge accounts.
Arrange with employer to forward tax withholding forms.
Make arrangements to discontinue (and make arrangements to start these services in your new location):
- Newspaper delivery
- Water softener service
- Electricity (check for refund)
- Water service Gas service (check for refund)
- Fuel or oil delivery
- Garbage collection
- Diaper service
- Lawn/pool service
- Other household services
- Mail change of address cards to:
- Post office Social Security office Insurance companies Credit cards Magazines Friends and Relatives Mail order accounts.
2 to 3 Weeks Before Your Move
- Fill, transfer and pack prescriptions for family and pets.
- Arrange for shipments of plants and pets.
- Get immunization records for pets.
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammables (paints, paint removers, etc.) as they will be impossible to move.
The Week Before Your Move
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, plus allow air-drying to prevent mildew.
- Arrange for disposal of frozen foods (sell, give away, or eat).
- Clean oven.
- Transfer/close checking and savings accounts.
- Drain fuel and oil from lawnmowers and other power equipment.
- Drain garden hoses.
- Pack items to be carried in car. Label “Do Not Move.”
- Gather valuables from safe deposit box, drawers, jewelry cases, personal records and pack safely to take with you.
- Send clothing, draperies, curtains, rugs out for cleaning and leave in wrapping.
- Take down curtain rods, shelves, TV antenna.
- Have car serviced for trip and have proof of insurance in car.
- Remember to pack a box of the basics you’ll need on move-in day (tools, paper products, all-purpose household cleaners, etc.). Be sure to have it loaded last so that it will be first off at your new home.
- Pack suitcases for trip.
- Remove all bed linens.
- Be available to check items on inventory sheet.
- Conduct a last minute walk through with your van operator.
- Make sure windows are closed, closets empty, lights out and doors locked.